What services do you provide for adults?
- 24-hour crisis and information hotline
- Crisis counseling
- Medical advocacy
- Legal advocacy
- Counseling referrals for survivors
- Other referrals as needed
- Support for secondary survivors/victims
What is this service?
- 24-hour crisis and information hotline - 1.877.363.1912
- Crisis counseling - in person or over the phone, a crisis can include anything from assistance following an assault to working through emotions that may have come up due to a trigger(s), reminding the survivor of the events of her/his attack- a crisis is unique to each person
- Medical advocacy - emotional support to survivors during medical exams, evidence collection and/or follow-up treatment. This service can be utilized even if the survivor chooses not to report.
- Legal advocacy - emotional support throughout prosecution of the offender, this may also include attending and preparing for court hearings, explaining the legal process and/or working with the Victim's Assistance Program through the courthouse
- Counseling referrals for survivors - we refer to several agencies in our community that are trained in working with victims of sexual assault and abuse, can offer assistance with payment of counseling if client does not have the means to pay or does not have insurance, these agencies typically work on a sliding scale, we are happy to give their information also even if individuals are not interested in receiving services through The Cottage.
- Other referrals as needed - this can include assistance with locating resources for food, clothing, housing, work, etc. We understand that an assault or past abuse ripples throughout all aspects of our lives and we are here to help.
- Support for secondary survivors/victims - offering support as well as helpful information to friends, family members and partners of the primary survivor, supporting a survivor's support system in turn supports the survivor.
Who is eligible for this service?
For all… Any individual whose life has been affected by sexual violence, past or present.
Is it free?
Is it confidential?
How do I enroll in this service?
For all services, make contact either by calling the hotline at any time if in crisis, or by calling the office line and speaking to Devon Sanger, Adult Advocate, during business hours.
Who do I contact for more information about this service?
You may call the hotline at any time, or call Devon Sanger, Adult Advocate at 706-546-1133 x25 during business hours, between 9am and 5pm.
Anything additional that someone would need to know about this service?
Our services are designed to support survivors in any way they need. We can help you to explore options and will never make decisions on your behalf or pressure you in any way.
Do you have services for survivors in the LGBTQ community?
Yes, The Cottage is committed to serve every survivor of sexual voilence and understands the issues and barriers that are unique to the LGBTQ community.
Gay Men and Childhood Sexual Trauma: Integrating the Shattered Self, By James Cassese
Can't Touch My Soul: A Guide for Lesbian Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse, Donna Rafanello
I Never Called it Rape,
The Ms. Report on recognizing, fighting and surviving date and acquaintance rape
The Rape Recovery Handbook,
Step-by-step help for survivors of sexual assault
Recovering from Rape,
Linda E. Ledray
Practical advice on overcoming the trauma and coping with police, hospitals and the courts -- for the survivors of sexual assault and their families, lovers and friends
Voices of Courage, edited
by Michael Domitrz
Inspiration from survivors of sexual assault
The Courage to Heal,
Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
A guide for women survivors of child sexual abuse
Websites (sites will open in a new window)
Pandora's Aquarium, An online support
group, message board and chat room for survivors of sexual
For LGBTQ Survivors of rape/sexual abuse: resources, discussion forums
Georgia Network to End Sexual Assault
Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
Men Stopping Violence
Dedicated to addressing the needs of intersex and trans survivors
Bluegrass Rape Crisis
Education pertaining to LGBTQ survivors of sexual assualt
LGBTQ Survivor Online Support Groups
Georgia Victims’ Bill of Rights
Male Survivor, Overcoming Sexual Victimization
of Boys & Men
Center for Disease Control
For more information on Adult Services, contact Devon Sanger, Adult Services Program Coordinator.
Content author: Devon Sanger ()